Re: AIS: registration, out of class

--- Donald Eaves <donald@eastland.net> wrote:

>>> It sounds as if both BATIK and CITY LIGHTS got conditions
that allowed them to express something toward their full
potential.  That it put them beyond standard indicates the usual
conditions they grow under don't allow them to reach that
potential. <<<

To me it seems that we shouldn't lump these two cvs. together in
these (judging) thread. BATIK might be in the wrong class
through registration (I have judged it as a BB and it seemed
always in class here in New England - we always see quite a few
BATIKS in our shows). On the other hand, CITY LIGHTS was grown
very tall by one person who entered a particular show, etc. The
AIS judges made the call.

>>> To mark them down in a show seems odd to me. <<<

We do penalize too-tall BBs (common in this class) but in my
short judging tenure, I have not come across a situation where a
TB was marked down as being too tall and we have some tall TBs
especially at the Maine shows.

Ellen (who has a SDB in colored bud ...  ORANGE TIGER -talk
about oranges..this bud is really ORANGE)

=====
Ellen Gallagher  <ellengalla@yahoo.com> / Berlin, New Hampshire / USDA Zone 3

Siberian-Species Iris Convention 2003, June 12-15 - Hamilton, ON Canada
http://w3.one.net/~wilsonjh/ssi.htm  (Siberian iris pages)
http://www.crosswinds.net/~median/  (Median iris pages)
http://www.irisregister.com/  (AIS checklist data)
American Iris Society: www.irises.org