Re: AIS: registration, out of class

As a qualifier, I am not a judge, and not particularly interested in
competition; however, I just wanted to second Donald's sentiments.  It
seems silly to me to mark down something that has exceeded expectations.
Seems to me it should be a good thing.

By the way, 'Batik' was the second tallest Iris in my garden this year!  I
moved it because it was always hiding behind other plants and I couldn't
see it properly.  Well, now it is quite visible.  Luckily there is nothing
behind it!  This year it reached 35 inches and flowered like crazy.  I
didn't count flowers per stalk, but it had to be pushing a dozen.  A piece
I left where it was in a cooler more shaded place only reached 11 inches,
had about 4 flowers per stalk, and flowered 3 weeks later.  The one that
was taller was Sierra Blue, which was pushing 4 ft, but didn't quite make
it.  It looked a bit silly, because it was only one stalk on a plant with
only three fans (only planted it last year).

                      "Donald Eaves"
                      <donald@eastland.        To:       <iris@hort.net>
 .                    net>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [iris] AIS: registration, out of class
                      owner-iris@hort.n
                      et

                      05/22/03 08:57 PM
                      Please respond to
                      iris

I'm glad I'm not a judge!  Plants and animals have genetic codes built into
them.  Their potential for expressing those codes are affected by outside
factors, in this case growing conditions.  It sounds as if both BATIK and
CITY LIGHTS got conditions that allowed them to express something toward
their full potential.  That it put them beyond standard indicates the usual
conditions they grow under don't allow them to reach that potential.  To
mark them down in a show seems odd to me.  They actually are being
downgraded for doing their best, and rewarded when growing conditions put
limits on what they can do naturally.  Show cattle come to mind.  Pampered
and fed to reach as close to the full potential of their inherent
capabilities, they look much different after being turned into range
cattle.
Still fine, but very much different.  Only in these cases it sounds like it
might be working in reverse.  Any seedling I grow under my conditions is
not
likely to ever have an accurate evaluation of what it might do in other
places.  TBs so seldom reach registered heights, those that do are special
and usually only do it occasionally.  If they just stretch toward the reg
height consistantly, I think they're doing well.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA