Re: AIS: registration, out of class

On Fri, 23 May 2003 13:26:23 -0600, you wrote:

>As a qualifier, I am not a judge, and not particularly interested in
>competition; however, I just wanted to second Donald's sentiments.  It
>seems silly to me to mark down something that has exceeded expectations.
>Seems to me it should be a good thing.

This is the same as say a Shetland Sheepdog or miniature horse, or any
breed where are standards for height that may not be exceeded.  A
animal that gets too big probably cannot be registered.

Border bearded as I understand it (not being a judge) is a class which
is supposed to be shorter than TB.  If it isn't shorter than a TB,
then it isn't a good BB.  That's one of the ways the standard is
written and that standard is what it should be judged by.

It isn't as if the option to register it as a TB isn't available.
>By the way, 'Batik' was the second tallest Iris in my garden this year!  I
>moved it because it was always hiding behind other plants and I couldn't
>see it properly.  Well, now it is quite visible.  Luckily there is nothing
>behind it!  This year it reached 35 inches and flowered like crazy.  I
>didn't count flowers per stalk, but it had to be pushing a dozen.  A piece
>I left where it was in a cooler more shaded place only reached 11 inches,
>had about 4 flowers per stalk, and flowered 3 weeks later.  The one that
>was taller was Sierra Blue, which was pushing 4 ft, but didn't quite make
>it.  It looked a bit silly, because it was only one stalk on a plant with
>only three fans (only planted it last year).
>                      "Donald Eaves"
>                      <donald@eastland.        To:       <iris@hort.net>
> .                    net>                     cc:
>                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [iris] AIS: registration, out of class
>                      owner-iris@hort.n
>                      et
>                      05/22/03 08:57 PM
>                      Please respond to
>                      iris
>I'm glad I'm not a judge!  Plants and animals have genetic codes built into
>them.  Their potential for expressing those codes are affected by outside
>factors, in this case growing conditions.  It sounds as if both BATIK and
>CITY LIGHTS got conditions that allowed them to express something toward
>their full potential.  That it put them beyond standard indicates the usual
>conditions they grow under don't allow them to reach that potential.  To
>mark them down in a show seems odd to me.  They actually are being
>downgraded for doing their best, and rewarded when growing conditions put
>limits on what they can do naturally.  Show cattle come to mind.  Pampered
>and fed to reach as close to the full potential of their inherent
>capabilities, they look much different after being turned into range
>Still fine, but very much different.  Only in these cases it sounds like it
>might be working in reverse.  Any seedling I grow under my conditions is
>likely to ever have an accurate evaluation of what it might do in other
>places.  TBs so seldom reach registered heights, those that do are special
>and usually only do it occasionally.  If they just stretch toward the reg
>height consistantly, I think they're doing well.
>Donald Eaves
>Texas Zone 7b, USA
>message text UNSUBSCRIBE IRIS
>message text UNSUBSCRIBE IRIS