Re: AIS: registration, out of class

The Shetland Sheep Dog is an interesting comparison, but I don't think I
buy it.  There you are looking at each individual being a genetically
unique individual (unless they are identical twins).  Here every 'Batik' is
the same clone, and you are looking at differenced based upon the reaction
of that one clone to varied growing conditions.  True, the dog might have
grown bigger or smaller if raised differently, but once it is grown, it is
always going to be the same.  Even so, your point is well taken.

Also, if a cultivar consistently is not the size it is supposed to be by
its registration, it seems to me that it probably should be changed.  On
this basis, I think many TB's should be BB's, and some BB's should be TB's.
I think the boundaries between MTB and IB in particular are a bit fuzzy.
There are some older "TB's" that are really IB's.  And, so on.   I have a
sneaking suspicion (correct me if I'm wrong), that a great many plants have
been stretched just a bit and put in the TB class just to sell them better,
since TB's seem to be more popular than BB's (??).   Weren't the early
definitions of the classes different than now too, with some of those Iris
still reflecting the old classes?  I have several "TB's" that never produce
a stalk much over 16 inches tall, let alone over 27.5 inches!  Even in the
best growing conditions, it is difficult to imagine some of these being
bigger as anything but the rare exception.

Well, I've spouted off more than enough for now.  Especially for somebody
with no vested interest.