Re: HYB: Using good plants

Sterling - are most cultivars great plants in your growing conditions or
is this one exceptional compared to others?  If you are in an area where
many cultivars don't
perform all that well, then maybe it's worth working with it, depending
on what your goals are.

On the other hand, if you are in a climate where there are plenty of
good performing cultivars to choose from in the same color class as
yours and with better flowers, then maybe yours doesn't help you get
towards your hybridizing goals and you are better off starting over.

It all depends on your goals.  To win awards, you have to have the best
flowers.  The best plant won't get you anywhere.

<I have a question regarding hybridizing with good
                   plants that have flowers that are not as good. I have

                   a seedling that is a great plant (healthy, vigorous,
                   well porportioned, well branched, 11-15 well timed
                   buds) but flowers are not as good. Is it worth my
time
                   to breed further with it? I would really like to keep

                   that bud count and branching. Sterling>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8