Re: Re: HYB: Using good plants

--- Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net> wrote:
> Sterling - are most cultivars great plants in your
> growing conditions or
> is this one exceptional compared to others?  If you
> are in an area where
> many cultivars don't
> perform all that well, then maybe it's worth working
> with it,

I live in Region 13, in Seattle, the "backyard" of
Iris Mecca, so to speak so I have lots and lots of
really great plants to choose from for breeding stock.
 However, I don't often see many plants with an
average of 12 - 15 buds per stalk, TB or otherwise
(this is a tetraploid median iris, by the way). Most
of my tetraploid seedlings have an average of 8 - 10
buds so this one is a little better. I am almost
compelled to breed further with it in hopes of
improving the flower, keep the bud count and branching
and add some horns in the process.

> .... you are better off starting over.
That wouldn't be very hard to do. This seedling came
from a cross involving the Craig's tetraploid IB
Lapwing which has really great branching and bud
count. The original cross was Lapwing X Stingray (SA
RE). Both cultivars are a little narrow in the haft
area and showed in the seedlings. The only reason I
used Stingray was because it was SA and RE. Maybe if I
used Lapwing with something more modern in form?

Thanks for the info. Maybe I should just do a few
crosses and see what I get?

Seattle, WA zone 8