Re: AIS: heights

Thanks Dorothy - this seedling has a lot of nicely placed blooms & I
thought the stalk was very attractive.  Several branches, high bud
count, pretty apricot or light orange color with darker tangerine
beards.  Very nice table iris, about 30 inches tall.  Not as much
ruffling as most current irises have - more 90s or 80s style.

I've seen many border bearded irises with 'normal' TB sized blooms on
them that look pretty clunky.  This one might make a nice BB on shorter
stalks, but it has TB sized foliage, so the blooms wouldn't make as nice
a show.

Does this mean that if I decided to register it, it would be registered
as a TB?

<I am not aware of any flower size restriction for TBs.  However, you
said
                   this was a seedling.  The judges were correctly using
garden judging principles
                   for judging the seedling, not flower show judging
principles.  This includes
                   proportion of bloom to stalk.  Modern TB cultivars
are expected to have larger
                   flowers than BB cultivars or older TBs in order to
make a good show of color.
                   Since this is somewhat subjective, a different panel
of judges might view your
                   seedling differently.

                   Dorothy Willott in Northern Ohio>

--