RE: Re: HYB: Using good plants - ala soap box

On 27 May 2003 at 17:28, Dana Brown wrote:

> . . .The bottom line to all of this is
> that if we encourage hybridizers to introduce iris that are short on buds,
> or branching or don't have good growth habits then it is not their fault, it
> is ours. . .

There are several things going on here:

The hybridizer honestly doesn't know that he has created a slow
grower with few buds.  In the home garden, it may be fine.

The hybridizer does know but does not tell and introduces it anyway
because of the 'flower lovers' out there.

The hybridizer tells the public it is a slow grower and introduces it

It's a 'hybridizer's' iris!  Somebody else can add the branching and

The judges voting for such varieties is another story.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8