Re: AIS: registration, out of class

Just wanted to send a quick thanks.  I should indeed look at a judge's

----- Original Message -----
From: DWiris@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 3:16 AM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: Re: [iris] AIS: registration, out of class

In a message dated 5/23/03 5:05:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
DFerguson@cabq.gov writes:

> I think many TB's should be BB's, and some BB's should be TB's.
> I think the boundaries between MTB and IB in particular are a bit fuzzy.

Hi Dave,

You made some very good points.  However, if you could read the judges'
handbook, you would see that there are more differences in the classes than
the height of the stalk.  Good BBs are not just short TBs.  They are supposed
have smaller flowers in proportion to the shorter stalks.  Batik is not a
good border bearded even if growing within the height limit, because it
has quite large blooms.  There should not be any confusion between IBs and
although some hybridizers may register cultivars in a class that is not quite
appropriate.  IBs are supposed to bloom between SDB and TB bloom seasons, but
I understand that in California this doesn't always happen.  MTBs are
supposed to bloom during TB bloom season.  Also, there are very strict rules
the diameter of MTB bloom stalks and flower size which should be considerably
smaller than most IBs.

Judges' most important duty is voting garden awards where varieties that are
out of class should not receive any awards.  It is the Hybridizer's right to
register an iris in the class he/she believes it belongs.  If it turns out not
to be the proper class, the hybridizer should change the registration.  It
doesn't cost anything and could make the iris eligible for awards.

As for show judging, the iris specimen must be entered in its registered
class.  If as shown it is not within the class guidelines it should be marked
down.  In the case of a stalk that is too tall, the exhibitor should cut some
the stem to bring it within height.  It is the exhibitor's responsibility to
know what class the iris belongs in and the requirements for the class.  For
exhibitors, there should be experienced people at the show to give them a
hand.  Also, local iris societies should give a program before shows to
how to enter.

I have been a judge for about 40 years and my husband and I wrote the chapter
in the judges handbook on judging SDBs.  Even though we have now been
elevated to Emeritus Judges, we continue to attend judges training classes as
as possible.  It would be helpful for anyone who is concerned about how irises
are judged to attend these classes.  You do not have to be or want to be a
judge to go to the classes.

Dorothy Willott in Northern Ohio