spring season 2003

The garden of seedlings is well along toward extinction. One numbered one
proved to be an orange-pink. With so little competition it looked great.
Nice plant, good branching, good form and substance. No pollen, but set six
pods.  Up at Michael Lockatell's my best seedling was ss 120, which has the
kitcheb sink in its RE SA heritage. It is a white, - not pale blue-. with
lovely blue beards. In this tough year of constant rains it has not rot ,
almost no leaf spot, and no stems going over!!!  A CLARENCE sdlg from MATRIX
also gave us a thrill. It is a cool white with yellow centre and a flush  or
really dabs of pale violet at the top of the flalls and the bottom of the
falls. No pollen, at first, but makes some the second or third day.
     Also a lovely laced apricot with upturned beards, very stylish. This is
from PINKNESS X GODSEND, but I could not grow it decently here in Durham.
     The big, big disappointment, must miss seing Joan and Ken Roberts'
garden in Gettysburg. They have had rain every day for weeks!! This is two
years in a row for missing it. Maybe if the rains continue there will be a
lot of rebloom and I can get up for the reblloom season. Joan assures me
there are some very unique and lovely things among both my seedlings and
      The rains continue here, but at least we get many hours of sunshine
also, and that is worth giving thnks for. The lovliest of flowers bloomed
first this week. It is a pink Japanese iris of gorgeous color, very good
form, and lots of buds. The name, alas, is missing.  Lloyd Zurbrigg, Durham