CULT: cold, hot - take your pick (was:Re: HYB: Using good plants)

--- wmoores@watervalley.net wrote:

>>> Juri, these were all bred in California or Oregon, two
that are not cold where the irises were hybridized.  They are
cloudy, though! :-) <<<

I know you meant that "cloudy" with a smile, Walter, but with
cloudy usually comes rain....rain and cold I got. But doesn't
explain why certain hybridizer's intros do much better for  us
regardless of climate. I rhink it is the growers (the
Case in point: I have some of Dana Brown's TBs for the first
time in my garden. I had some trepidation because of the vast
climatic difference. The small order I got from her (didn't want
to take any chances ;-) is doing great. The intro. CERTAIN
BOUNTY she sold last year is increasing daily and the rhizome is
nice and solid.

>>> HD quickly made a clump the first year, and in the spring
every fan but one bloomed. The next year it rested and started
increasing again. The third year, it bloomed-out totally and did
not increase from the bloomstalks. <<<

Waltah, you live in such a hot,humid climate....bloom-out is
unheard of here. Heck, we just want bloom. (SDB season is
finally really beginning and it is pretty much on time - maybe a
trifle early.

Ellen (cold and pouring rain today....)

Ellen Gallagher  <ellengalla@yahoo.com> / Berlin, New Hampshire / USDA Zone 3

Siberian-Species Iris Convention 2003, June 12-15 - Hamilton, ON Canada
http://w3.one.net/~wilsonjh/ssi.htm  (Siberian iris pages)
http://www.crosswinds.net/~median/  (Median iris pages)
http://www.irisregister.com/  (AIS checklist data)
American Iris Society: www.irises.org