Re: Re: AIS: heights

I can remember 'in betweens' (too large a flower for the BB class and too short  a
stalk for the TB class) being called 'short talls.'  If I remember correctly, it was Ben
Hager who came up with that oxymoron - those that are betwixt and between.
Usually they are registered as TBs.  We simply don't have an appropriate class for
them.

A BB is not a 'short tall.'  The flower must not be the size of a TB bloom.  It should be
slightly larger than an IB bloom and slightly smaller than a TB bloom.   This is where
many people err when registering a BB - the flowers are are too big for the class.
Also a stalk being under 29 inches is not an automatic qualification for the BB class
either.

Sometimes different soil types, fertilizer, climates can cause a BB to overgrow and
be out of class, both in height and bloom size.  This is often the case with BATIK.  I
honestly don't believe I have ever seen it growing as a BB anywhere I have seen it in
bloom.  The flowers are just too large.

All of the above puts the hybridizer between a rock and a hard place.  Is there a
place for 'short talls,' or do we throw them away?

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8