Re: AIS: registration, out of class

DWiris@aol.com (Dorothy Willott) wrote:
> Hi Dave,
> You made some very good points.  However, if you could read the judges'
> handbook, you would see that there are more differences in the classes than just
> the height of the stalk.  Good BBs are not just short TBs.  They are supposed to
> have smaller flowers in proportion to the shorter stalks.  Batik is not a
> good border bearded even if growing within the height limit,

which it often does not

> because it usually has quite large blooms.

And yet despite, or perhaps because of, these "flaws" it came closer to
winning the Dykes than ninety-ump point ump percent of median irises.
Or, perhaps because of flaws in the judges. I am certainly not
disagreeing with you--you are absolutely correct--just pointing out that
human judges can sometimes disregard almost everything if they like an

Which brings to mind one of the basic problems--what to do with an iris
that straddles the boundaries.

My understanding of the bearded classifications is that they were set up
at least in part to protect worthy shorter iris from the judges'
"natural" bias toward TB's. Face it, "bigger is better" is easier to
apply than "better is better." So the many great medians need to have a
chance for awards on their own merits. But if an iris is a good BB in
some microclimates, and a good (short) TB in others, should it be banned
from awards (or should it have to get all its votes from those areas
where it meets the criteria of its registration classification)? I

> I have been a judge for about 40 years and my husband and I wrote the chapter
> in the judges handbook on judging SDBs.  Even though we have now been
> elevated to Emeritus Judges, we continue to attend judges training classes as often
> as possible.  It would be helpful for anyone who is concerned about how irises
> are judged to attend these classes.  You do not have to be or want to be a
> judge to go to the classes.

I cannot reinforce the above paragraph strongly enough. JT's are neato
keeno swell things. Even for folks with no interest at all in judging,
knowing the criteria judges use (or are supposed to use) can let the
knowledgeable irisarian decide "they gave Doggy Blue an award because of
its xxxx, and I don't care about xxxx, so I won't buy it." Knowing more
is always better.

Gerry, hoping to still be contributing in 33 years, when I will have
been a judge for 40
American Iris Society Affiliates Chair, Symposium Chair, and Director
in warm, winterless Los Angeles--USDA zone 9b-ish, Sunset 18-19