Re: HYB: Using good plants

> What is the cause of bloom-out? Is not it a disparity between internal
> rhythms of plant and rhythms of weather?
> Juri
> in Moscow, Russia
Juri, it is always nice to hear from you and to find out what grows
well for you in Moscow.  Your input is helpful to other list members
in cold climates.  I am glad bloom-out does not occur in Russia.

You are probably right about the causes of the problem.  Certain
genes in certain plants are the reason.  Perhaps longer growing
seasons also contribute.

My irises are bred in a hot, humid, rainy climate yet Ellen in very cold
and late-blooming New Hampshire says they grow very well for her.
Paul Black in Oregon, where it is cool and rainy but not extremely
cold, also has success with my plants.   I do not knowingly introduce
slow growers.  If a plant has slow growth or a bloom-out problem but
has a beautiful  flower, I try to cross it to something that has vigor to
eliminate the slow growth or bloom-out factor.

We enjoy hearing from you.  Tell us more about your bloom season.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8