Re: Re: AIS: heights

On Wed, 28 May 2003 19:56:27 -0500 wmoores@watervalley.net writes:
> All of the above puts the hybridizer between a rock and a hard
> place.  Is there a
> place for 'short talls,' or do we throw them away?
> Walter Moores
> Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

Walter, please reconsider your criteria. I am certainly glad that Batik
wasn't thrown out. Lots of people don't care what it is called or what
category some people assign to it....it has sparked more interest in iris
in the garden than just about any iris I grow! When the hybridizers start
evaluating their seedlings for show bench and rule books, I think you
might see a whole new view of the space between a rock and a hard place.
In the past few years, I have quit buying anything new and will not waste
the few hard earned dollars we can spare on a plant that may be an annual
rather than a perennial garden plant. I have even considered asking for
trial planting results and areas of test gardens as a prerequisite to
buying new cultivars. The rush to introduce *new* may not be kind to the
iris future.

I'm not in the iris business so maybe longer and broader testing is not
practical. Hmmm... Just thinking. Thanks so much for your input.

Char Randall
Melba, ID USDA Zone 6
Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!