Re: Re: AIS: heights

On 29 May 2003 at 7:47, charandmike@juno.com wrote:

> On Wed, 28 May 2003 19:56:27 -0500 wmoores@watervalley.net writes:
> > All of the above puts the hybridizer between a rock and a hard
> > place.  Is there a
> > place for 'short talls,' or do we throw them away?
> >
> > Walter Moores
> > Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8
> >
> Walter, please reconsider your criteria. I am certainly glad that Batik
> wasn't thrown out. Lots of people don't care what it is called or what
> category some people assign to it....it has sparked more interest in iris
> in the garden than just about any iris I grow! When the hybridizers start
> evaluating their seedlings for show bench and rule books, I think you
> might see a whole new view of the space between a rock and a hard place.

> Regards,
> Char Randall
> Melba, ID USDA Zone 6

I don't think I advocated throwing out anything that 'came in
between.'  I just put the subject on the floor for discussion.  I would
not have discarded BATIK, but I do find it difficult to fit it into any
show class.  Garden-wise, what a fantastic iris!

Also, I, for one, am not one to introduce irises for the show table.
These are garden subject first, and if it so happens they also do well
on the show table, that is an added plus.  The AIS show rules and
the registration blank call for a 'class.'  That is where hybridizers
have to walk the tightrope sometimes when there is an 'in between.'
An iris cannot be registered without a class so that is where the
judgment call is. (Rock and a hard place).

I didn't mean to be confusing.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8