Re: HYB: Using good plants

My apologies in advance if this could be said better, I do NOT mean to
pick on any one email in particular. Its just that the general tone of far too many of the recent posts have been overly critical of the standards of the AIS, AIS judges and iris judging standards and I am really tired of it...

1. The AIS IS focused on producing good garden iris. And most of the standards used to judge on the show bench are for those characteristics that help make for good garden iris.

2. Judging has some (small) bit of subjectivity - not for things like "I love this iris" (or it shouldn't!) but for what is good branching or well grown, etc. Deal with it and move on.

3. Discussion about class and show bench judging should not be meant as critcism of hybridizers, most of them are just informational discussion on how judges can improve their point of view or evaluation when doing show bench judging. Most people don't buy new iris for the show bench and for sure the hybridizers know it!

The vast majority of AIS judges worked hard to become judges and continue to do so to keep up their knowledge and evaluation abilities. I for one think they deserve thoughtful conversation and praise and stop picking on us when we are constantly just trying to improve!

<rant off>
sorry,
cathy
AIS Region 19 GARDEN judge