Re: HYB: Using good plants

On Thu, 29 May 2003 15:00:28 -0400 Catherine Button
<cathy@pav.research.panasonic.com> writes:
> My apologies in advance if this could be said better, I do NOT mean
> pick on any one email in particular. Its just that the general tone
> of
> far too many of the recent posts have been overly critical of the
> standards of the AIS, AIS judges and iris judging standards and I am
> really tired of it...
Cathy, I think you are missing the point just a bit. A very few people on
this list write most of the posts that we all read. Lots of us read most
all of the posts...maybe not entirely but at least briefly. Some posts we
read entirely, every time, then save, review and reread time after time.
In the above excerpt, notice how many times you used the words AIS,
judge*, and standard*. It is just not relevent to some of us and at times
can become overdone.

There are a lot of lurkers and garden people whose views may not be
represented. I'll also bet we represent a big share of sales volume for
the commercial growers and hybridizers. I think interest in quality and
dependablility of iris of any category is a priority, not secondary to a
judges opinion. And really, I am not bashing judges! That wasn't the
intent of my request.

I've already written privately to Walter and apologized for any
unintentional disrespect. I do value his opinions and read his posts word
for word! Now I wish I had followed my urge to write it for the whole
list though. I do not think I am the only one concerned more about my
garden than about some name or measurement criteria. I think I asked
Walter to consider that view in considering seedling selection. How
interesting the diversity of our expectations huh?

Char Randall
Melba, ID
Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!