Re: HYB: Using good plants

I agree - even in the relatively short period of time that this
discussion forum has been going (can it really be 7 years???), I am
seeing more cultivars that do better here.

Or maybe my climate is changing, or I've actually learned a few things
to make them grow better. <g>

I think it's the former - some of the cultivars that I thought were
among my best performers in 1996 are no longer ones I would even
consider putting in that category.  Some of them have since gone to iris
heaven.  Some had been badly neglected & overrun by weeds, so I replaced
them in the last couple of years and can see why I lost them - they are
just not as tough as some of the newer ones.  There are still quite a
few old toughies, but there are more and more new tough ones as well.

However, I have also adjusted my expectations - it's a rare bearded iris
that thrives in all climates.

<I see
                   improvements in TB garden vigor in every generation,
along with increasingly
                   wild patterns and ruffled form.  All are important

                   John Reeds, in 9b southern California>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8