From: owner-iris@hort.net [mailto:owner-iris@hort.net]On Behalf Of
DWiris@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 8:32 PM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: Re: [iris] HYB: Using good plants

In a message dated 5/29/03 6:33:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
judyhunt1@bellsouth.net writes:

> What
> might help in letting the general public know what grows well in a
> particular area would be having official iris display gardens in each AIS
> region, much as the American Hemerocallis Society does.  These gardens are
> privately owned and are given official status after applying to the AHS.

Hi Judy,

Regional test gardens were tried a number of years ago because it sounded
like a good idea.  Unfortunately, these gardens were abandoned because
neither
the public nor AIS members and judges visited them.  My garden is listed as
Dwarf Iris Display Garden, a Median Iris Display Garden and a Siberian Iris
Display Garden.  I can hardly drag area judges to the garden during their
bloom
seasons, let alone other people.  Our public iris display garden in a city
park
gets some visitors and a few of them express real interest in the irises.
Most just walk through and say how pretty they are.

Dorothy Willott in Northern Ohio, Zones 5/6