Re: HYB: Using good plants

> In a message dated 5/29/03 10:31:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> writes:
> > Just out of curiosity, which part of what the judges look for in a
> > iris do you think needs to be adjusted?  I have heard quite a bit on
> > subject and would be interested in hearing from everyone about this.
> > instance, describe a "good" tall bearded garden plant and we can
> >
> Hi Dana,
> I think you said it all.
> Dorothy Willott in Northern Ohio, Zones 5/6

I agree with Dorothy for the most part.  You have gotten to the specifics of
a good garden plant and defined them very well.  All I would say is missing
are those plants that break the rules and still work.  That elusive trait
that lends them character and sets them apart from anything else.  A snaky
stalk that lends grace and lightness on how the blooms are displayed on the
stalk.  A combination of droop and color in the bloom that evokes an emotion
rather than a critical evaluation based on criteria.  The traits that ruin a
lot of plants, that work for whatever reason on a specific plant and make
them special.  Things I doubt a hybridizer could work for, but would be a
loss if they are unable to recognize them when they occur.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA