Re: HYB: Using good plants

On 30 May 2003 at 5:31, Sandra Barss wrote:

> And generally those irises that come from that major Oregon hybridizer do
> well in my climate.
> Sandra
> SE Manitoba
> Zone 3
> John Reeds wrote:
> Some of the least suitable for our climate come from one major Oregon
> hybridizer.

Hmmm.  Let's see.  90% of my irises came from Oregon.  There are
'hits and misses' from all, but most are very good and they all were
grown within a few miles of each other.  I cannot see any one
hybridizer there producing more duds than anybody else.  If there is
a particular line of a hybridizer's output that is bad, avoid that line
and try another.

I have been dismayed with my own things that were produced in
Texas.  Several never adjusted to MS, so I don't even try to grow
them anymore.

So, not all irises from any given hybridizer can be expected to thrive
in every climate of the country.  I am amazed that my steamy, sultry
things can do well in NH or AZ, but I have gotten good reports.

If you fear buying an introduction for this reason, wait until the price
comes down and check with the other growers in your area about
the plant's success or failure in your area.  Study the parentages of
those that failed and make selections from another line and find
wonderful surprises along the way.  R & I's from AIS make great
winter-time reading.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8