Re: Haft marks

Linda,

I did not receive your photos of haft markings and just looked in the
Archives but could only find one with the topic of haft and could not open
the image.  I also looked for Autumn Elf and didn't find this.

Would it be too much trouble to send it to me off-list?  at
mcorley@compuserve.com

Thanks,

Mickey Corley (Mrs.)
Bethany OK - Center of Oklahoma USA
Zone 6/7

Message text written by INTERNET:iris@hort.net
>Lee - I posted several photos of haft marks a week or so ago.  Like you,
until recently (last summer?!), I was confused about what was meant by
<haft marks> and had thought the outside edge of the upper part of the
fall was where the haft was.

One of the  photos I posted, the historic AUTUMN ELF, shows a distinct
difference between the form of the <haft> part of the fall and the
<blade> part.  I don't know for sure, but suspect this kind of
difference was the normal appearance of iris falls until fairly recently
(last 50 yrs?).

As you can see in the photo, the haft is narrow (like the haft of a
spear or wide knife) and is the only part of the fall that has stripes
on it.

So as the haft got wider in modern irises, my guess is that the term
'haft' stuck, even tho there is no longer a narrow <haft> to the fall,
at least on modern TBs.

Neil, others who actually know such things, does that sound right?

Taking a break in the peak of an unbelievable bloom season this year.
Thank goodness for heavy rain yesterday!  It will probably trigger rot
after such a long dry spell, but my irises need thinning and I need a
break from (mostly unsuccessful) pollen daubing.<