Re: CULT: bloom on old plant

Another question I received off list - Brenda, the mature rhizome
usually only produces one stalk on the terminal fan, but the rhizome
normally will produce more fans along the side.  Those new fans will
(hopefully) grow to produce more rhizomes that will bloom the next year.

On many (but definitely not all) cultivars, that old "mother" rhizome
will die after it blooms and produces new fans.  Sometimes it will die
without producing new fans - this is called bloomout.

Most of my seedlings and many reblooming irises I've grown have mother
rhizomes that will stay alive and produce new live roots and fans for at
least two years.

Sorry, I can't point you to a good website that talks about this, but
maybe someone else can.

<I would like to ask you a question about irises since I am new to
growing
them.  I read an article the other day that stated the plant that
bloomed this year will not produce any blooms next year so you may
as well throw it in the compost pile.  Is this a true statement?  Do you
know a site where I can read about growing irises and their
bloom span?Thanks, Brenda>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8