HYB: what is lace?

[This didn't get through to the archives yesterday, so I'll try again.
Plus I notice that some of the BALCS kids that opened today <do> have
warts.  I looked more closely at the BALCS variegata, and it does indeed
have a few scattered warts too]

After learning I didn't actually know what haft marks were last summer,
now after being asked if one of my seedlings has lace,  I'm realizing I
may not know what lace is either.

LACY SNOWFLAKE definitely has lace - I read it in a book <g>.  It is in
bloom here now, and has little warty or pimpley things sticking out of
the undersurface of the fall all around the rim, as well as serrated
edges.  Looking closely at irises currently in bloom here, most of them
seem to have slightly serrated edges, like they've been trimmed with
pinking shears.  The amount of serration varies quite a bit, but all of
the irises I looked at have at least a littlet.  None of the ones I've
looked at have warts like LS, and none are what I would call lacy.

All this time, I thought the serrations were what made lace.  Is it
warts instead?

I can see why they aren't called 'warty' or 'pimply'.....

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8