TBIS: When your Tall Talk comes...

A short post I made some months ago concerning a question about "sports"
caught the attention of the editors of *Tall Talk,* and the then current
editor asked me if I would allow it to be reprinted in that publication.  I
agreed provided I could make a few small changes.  The editor agreed.

Subsequently, but before the final deadline date for copy to go into this
upcoming issue was reached, I got a personal e-mail from one of the members of
this list taking an issue with a comment I had made about Katkamier's sport(s)
of 'Honorabile' stating (quite correctly) that 'Kalaidoscope' and 'Joseph's
Coat Katkamier' were quite different cultivars, and that she was not only
growing both, but both were in wide circulation.

Since I had based my remarks on on the data as recorded in the 1939 *Check
List,* I did not know how to respond to the question raised.  Later, I ran
across, quite by accident, the very authoritative and helpful HIPS reprint of
Jean Witt's article about the various sports of 'Honorabile,* which confirmed
the statements made by the one who had contacted me from Iris-talk.  I sent a
correcting paragraph to the new editor, Judy Nunn, to replace the original one
concerning 'Honorabile,' 'Kalaidoscope,' and 'Joseph's Coat Katkamier.'

E. Tankesley-Clarke had submitted a posthumus correcting registration to set
right the *Check List* record and clarify the difference between 'Joseph's
Coat' and 'Kalaidoscope' which Katkamier had left in a state of confusion
through his marketing of the two sports without registering the second with
the AIS.

Jean Witt's article also confirmed my dim memory of 'Sherwin-Wright' having
also been one of 'Honorabile's' offspring mutations.

None of this altered substantively what had been said about the nature of
sports, but as a matter of record gave more accurate information about this
particular series of clones illustrating the phenomenon of "sport."

Unfortunately, despite six e-mail attempts to get the correction to Judy Nunn
before the final deadline had come and passed, the correcting paragraph did
not reach her in time, so the original, erroneous copy is what appears in your
copies of *Tall Talk* reaching your mailboxes this week.   I ask your
acceptance of my apology.  A "Letter to the Editor" will appear in the Fall
issue briefly clarifying the matter.

Sincerely yours,
Neil Mogensen      z 7 western NC mountains