Spuria - species searching -- Just go knock on the doors!

Hi Dave and all,

Oh, do go knock on strangers' doors and ask if you
can dig some of their iris!

I've done this a lot, collecting old UNKNOWN-historics
(some of whom we've later been able to ID, some not).
Left notes when a knock didn't get an answer.  I
usually offer to trade them some of my iris.

Usually people are delighted.  I've done this in
some pretty iffy neighborhoods, and gotten just as
kind response.

(and vice versa -- folks go by our little yard, and
fuss over an iris, and I'll give them rhizomes, it's

> I. orientalis I may be able to find locally, since
> it is in a lot of old yards, but I always hate to
knock on a stranger's door and ask if I can dig
> up their yard (even though they would likely say
> "yes").  The yellow ones (probably I. monnieri?)
used to be more common around here, but I can't
> find any growing in the area any more (I'm sure
> there are some hidden in somebody's backyard, but
they are well hidden).