  From: Linda Mann
  To: iris- talk
  Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 7:16 AM
  Subject: [iris] HYB: crossing yellow & blue

  John Reeds, I've been thinking about all your unsuccessful attempts to
  cross blues with LOUISA'S SONG as I'm making somewhat similar crosses
  here (using tough old buzzards like RINGO, SWEETER THAN WINE,DUSKY
  some of my rimmed seedlings).

  I wonder if inbred lines that are from many generations of
  pinks/yellow/lavender pink (including those pink or white grounds with
  red to purple falls) are hard to cross with inbred lines from many
  generations of blues?  It sure seems that way here.

  And the few seedlings I've gotten from such crosses are very stubborn
  about setting seeds or producing pollen that works.

  MATRIX seems to be an exception - blue ancestors on one side, yellows &
  pinks on the other.  Only two irises in the online checklist from
  MATRIX, both crossed with SUKY, from blue lines.  TEA LEAVES is another.

  I've crossed M with a lot of wacko things this year.   For once, it is
  healthy and full of pollen.

  Just wondering if others have found it difficult to mix blue lines with
  yellow/pink, or if it's true for any crosses between very different
  'bloodlines', regardless of the color class.  Still thinking about all
  those mismatched chromosomes among species that make up modern
  tetraploid TBs.

  Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

  message text UNSUBSCRIBE IRIS