"Arnold Koekkoek" <koekkoek@mtcnet.net> wrote to Michele:

>>> As somebody already wrote, the iris about which you were
asking is probably STARRING, which was a huge hit with those
attending the 2002 national AIS convention in Memphis.  It grew
very well there, lovely clumps. The comment made on this list to
the effect that some folks complained about less than perfect
growth didn't show there.  So maybe it is like some other iris
that are born and bred in Calif., namely, they do better in
warmer climate zones than places like this, where winter is very
real. <<<

Based on seeing 'Starring' in Memphis, I ordered it. It never
made it through the winter here in the northern White Mts. of NH
(USDA Zone 3a).  However, I have had good luck and great bloom
on other California-bred irises.

My new theory: some rhizomes are lemons just like cars (I have a
lemon of a car - so I know the drill). I might give 'Starring'
another chance but not this year. Too busy losing my battle with
the lily beetles in my lilium.  (Lilioceris lilii). They are
almost impossible to eradicate from a garden. (whimper)

Ellen Gallagher, Editor
'The Siberian Iris'

Manager of Sibrob and BeardlessIrisPhotos on Yahoogroups

Society for Siberian Irises: http://www.socsib.org