HIST: impossible pod

Hi all,

I. albicans has been discussed a lot lately, and here's another little note
to add.  I have an I. albicans that has a nice beautiful fat pod on it
(almost 1.5 inches long and 1 inch thick now).  No indication that it's
empty or any way bad.  It flowered late, so it may be crossed with and
early 'Amas' flower (right next to it) or perhaps some of the other
straggler late flowers on IB oldies also near it ('Crimson King', germanica
'Alba', germanica (cv. unknown), 'Florentina', or that unidentified maybe
'Golden Bow').  I think 'Amas' was the only "fertile" Iris open at the
time, but there may have been a few of the very first I. pallidas open
nearby too.  I didn't pollinate it myself, so it'll be interesting to see
what comes of it.  It's not the first pod I've seen on I. albicans, but I
didn't used to bother with the seeds (didn't know it was "impossible" to
get them).  This is right next to a public path at the Botanic Garden here
in Albuquerque though, so It'll be a miracle if some kid doesn't pluck it
or kick it just before it is ready (usually happens that way).