>>> My new theory: some rhizomes are lemons just like cars...

I thought I should explain this a little better. The STARRING
rhizome that vanished during the winter of 2003 in my garden was
what I have chosen to call a 'lemon'. Meaning that this selected
rhizome was not a hardy one (read healthy one). Or it may be one
of the warm clime babies as Arnold suggested and a clone will
never do well here.

After reading Griff's comments of how his STARRING just wasn't
there after the winter. That is what happened to mine...just the
marker tilting in the wind. Maybe it is the East Coast acid soil
and our considerable rain/humidity.

Maybe I will order another rhizome and test it out this year.
Especially since my lilium budget is freed up since I am digging
up all my considerable stock of lilium - I know when I have lost
a battle and also the war. :-(

Some days it just isn't worth chewing through the restraints