CULT: HYB: avoid overhead watering....

All the bearded irises here looked so healthy during our record March
dry spell, and even into early April, when we were still way below our
usual rainfall.

Back to normal - easy to select the disease resistant cultivars and
seedlings now  after a few one inch downpours and temperatures near 90.
And now we are into summer weather - half an inch of stormy rain every
afternoon, hot and humid all day long.....I'm with you Rosalie - where
are those lovely 70 degree F afternoons!

Anybody want to see photos of what an average introduction looks like
now vs those few that are thriving?  With no treatment for disease...

Cultivars seem to respond very differently:  Some seem to cut their
losses, drop entire leaves once they become diseased, and rapidly grow
new healthy growth.  Others try to hang onto what they have, gradually
losing more and tissue on each blade, not growing new foliage,
eventually losing nearly all the greenery they have, then slowly
producing more.  Others just aren't affected much.

And of course, everything in between...

My favorite this year for vigorous (rampant!) healthy growth is DR. ALAN
- Gary Sides orange-pink-tan TB.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8