Re: CULT. heat ! and DEER

>Laurie, you mentioned deer -- I know they like hosta and daylilies, but I
>was hoping irises  were not on their table of desires.

Rosalie,

In my garden, irises are low on the palatability scale for deer.  Deer
typically will only eat the irises during the times of year when they
have no natural browse to consume - most notably in early spring when the
deer are starving after a long northern winter and will voraciously
consume whatever greens up first, e.g. irises. My local deer also seem to
have developed enough of a taste for iris foliage now that they will
continue to graze them a bit even after they have plenty of grass
available in the surrounding hayfields.  As soon as the brushy areas
bordering my hayfields leaf out, however, the deer will abandon my irises
in lieu of their preferred browse.

I sometimes also have a problem with deer grazing my irises in the fall
after their browse has dropped its leaves for the winter.  At that time
of year, they have the infuriating tendency to uproot and relocate
summer-planted irises.

In a normal year, deer wouldn't be a problem this late into the growing
season.  Unfortunately, our abnormally cold temps have delayed leafing
out substantially, so the deer are still snacking on my irises.  Ugh.

Laurie

P.S.  Interestingly, deer never bother my hostas.  I assume that's
because the hostas don't start growth until after the browse has leafed
out and the deer have retreated to their preferred dining accommodations.

laurief@paulbunyan.net
http://www.geocities.com/lfandjg/
USDA zone 3b, AHS zone 4 - northern MN
normal annual precipitation 26-27"