Re: CULT -- oh deer oh deer

Hi All,

After reading all the deer stories, I have to add a few more comments.  We
live in a city, not out in the hills.  The deer are in our yard almost every
night and sometimes during the day all year long!  They have kept the daylilies
down to  5 or 6 inches and will eat them next to the house as well as in the
garden.  The hosts are not up far enough yet for the deer to go after them.  I
have found that they don't go for miniature hostas.  Again, I think the
miniatures are beneath their notice.  They don't eat daffodils, but we haven't tried
to grow tulips for many years, because tulip buds just ready to open are their
favorite food.  They prune the tips of apple and crabapple trees during the
winter and eat any fruit they can reach when apples and pears are ripening,
pulling down (and frequently breaking) small limbs to get the fruit.  I had
thought they didn't like roses, but last summer they ate them too.  I wish the deer
would develop a taste for Canada thistle, which is a horrendous problem in
our yard.  The deer don't bother our neighbors because most of them just have
grass and evergreens.  However, one did try to jump the next-door neighbor's
fence around the swimming pool and fell breaking its leg.  The police came and
put it out of its misery, but residents can't shoot deer, because it is against
the law to discharge firearms in the city.

Dorothy Willott in Northern Ohio