Re: CULT. heat ! and DEER

In a message dated 5/13/04 11:51:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time, RYFigge@aol.com
writes:

> I know they like hosta and daylilies, but I was
> hoping irises  were not on their table of desires.  Is that universal,
> everyone?

Hi Rosalie,

It appears that deer will eat anything, if they are hungry.  A friend had
deer eat the new shoots of TBs as they were coming up in the spring.  For us,
they don't bother the dwarf irises--its too much trouble for them to bend down
that far.  However, they do occasionally nip off the TB flowers and frequently
nip off the Japanese flowers.  I think they don't notice the Siberians because
the blooms are smaller.

Dorothy Willott in Northern Ohio