HYB: stud of the year, misc

Bloom season is nearly over.  This year, it looks like there may be a
frightening 150 pods or more forming.

Most successful pollen parents were provided by insects - around 20
Second most was one of my seedlings (12) followed closely by TEAMWORK
(11) and MATRIX (10).  Spring bloom on MATRIX is usually too poor to
produce pollen, but it more than made up for it this spring.  TEAMWORK
was a delightful surprise - I think the two small rhizomes that produced
the bloomstalks with all the pollen have died.  Really looking forward
to seeing those babies.

CELEBRATION SONG continues to produce great quantities of fertile pollen
here, more than anything except perhaps HARVEST OF MEMORIES, which makes
it handy to use to check for ability to set pods when I can't think of
what else to use.

This is the first year I've had any success with using pollen frozen the
year before from fall rebloomers.  Many of the rebloomers here don't
produce pollen in the spring, but are usually loaded with good looking
pollen in the fall.

Thanks to whoever it was (John Reeds?) who mentioned problems with
taking pollen in and out of the freezer.  This year, I figured I had one
shot at getting pods using frozen pollen, so waited until perfect
hybridizing conditions to take it out of the freezer.  I got a high
percentage of takes, finally getting a chance at some VIOLET MIRACLE
crosses.  For some reason, VM doesn't bloom here in the spring, but
"repeat" blooms the rest of the growing season.

Biggest disappointment is PACIFIC MIST.  Loaded with beautiful bloom and
good looking pollen, but bloomed so late, pollen eating bugs, few
choices of suitable parents & afternoon showers meant no pods.  Maybe
that's why it doesn't show up in more pedigrees....

Sure would love to see a cross between PM & TEAMWORK, FOGBOUND, TWILIGHT

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8