OT: Median Iris Interests

I am looking for people who have an interest in Median Irises and would like to be a part of developing their history.

            I am the new chairman of the Median Iris Society Checklist committee. Since a new checklist has just been published you may think there is nothing to do. Wrong. Our new goal is to begin work on an illustrated checklist. In fact we are beginning work on 4 illustrated checklists one for each group; SDB, MTB, IB and BB. Since there is no rush to complete these, we have plenty of time to compile pictures and information before we go to press. How or when this will be accomplished is yet to be determined, but the immediate goal is to create a committee that will assemble pictures and gather data each year. The checklist person or committee will never need to have to do the incredible amount of work that Nyla Hughes had to do to create this last checklist. Whether we print a list, issue it on CD, or create a web-site version, the work will be kept up to date each year so it will be available for a future format.

            By breaking the jobs up into small units, I hope to make it acceptable for each committee member and not a huge burden. This jobs are; RECORDER, HISTORIAN, and PROOF READER/EDITOR. In theory there will be 12 positions as part of the checklist committee and we will work as a collaborative effort.

            The RECORDER will be responsible for writing to hybridizers to obtain images each year of their introductions. They will assemble data on current introductions.  I am hoping that RECORDERs will be created among all the sections so the AIS registrar will not have to take on this responsibility of gathering pictures.

            HISTORIANS will be individuals working on obtaining the same information on past introductions.

            PROOF READER/EDITORS will aid in the verification and correction of typos etc. of the other two posts. Or assist in other technical efforts such as creating storage files etc.

            As chairman I will try to help wherever needed and try to keep everyone on track. I expect this to be a collaborative effort. Participation should allow for inclusion in much decision making to the degree that you would like. This is a great opportunity for those of you to who would like to learn more about Medians and to become involved with The society. I hope that some newer Iris enthusiasts would like to join with some established Iris people in this effort.