SHOW: Judges Handbook - artistic design

This topic is mostly for the AIS judges and show chairs out there but anyone's $.02 is welcome...

A number of folks in my region came back from the AIS national convention with a tidbit of information that I believe was not quite correct, and if so, perhaps others came away with the same idea. They have the idea that the AIS rules state that you can have only one entry per person per class in Artistic Design. Just to be sure, I re-checked the Judges Handbook and could find no such rule. In fact, the only reference at all was in the model show schedule which is nothing but an example of a valid show schedule, not a required show schedule.

A review of the show section and of the artistic design section in the handbook revealed no such rule, although if it appeared somewhere else, I would have missed it. (not the model schedule, again, thats not a rule, just an example.) I do *think* it is a rule for design in the federated garden clubs and if you wish to have your design classes recognized by them you would HAVE TO add that rule to your show schedule because it will NOT be in there by default (by default meaning most folks have a statement in their schedule saying that the AIS rules will be followed).

So now I am thinking, hmmmm, how many folks would know this and maybe it SHOULD be put in the handbook as an AIS rule for artistic design. In design classes at rose shows, which do also use garden club guidelines, they use the device of having "For Display Only" entries to fill empty niches and then there could be an exhibitor with another unjudged entry, and only under those circumstances would an exhibitor have more than one entry. But the extra basically wouldn't "count". No reason not to do the same, I think.

The handbook is critical to anyone making a show schedule and maybe it would be a good idea not to leave this one as a matter of choice. But would this in any way inhibit folks from getting more design entries and does anyone else normally have multiple entries? Ie, I don't see a downside to making it an official rule but maybe there is one...

official rumor monger and rule irritant,

         Phone: 609-518-3700 x4444          Fax: 609-518-3720