Re: SHOW: Judges Handbook - artistic design

You make a good point Kitty.
Too bad I can't mail-in an arrangement or two for your shows!

Lobergs wrote:

This is only 1 cent worth... as I don't have the artistic talent, but
enjoy other's arrangements. My club is having a very hard time getting
entries in artistic.. only 5 this year, when many years ago we easily had 20
or more. We definitely would love having more entries. And if one person
were to do more than one entry in a class, it seems the judges would still
only give out one Blue per class, and so I would not have a problem with
multiple entries. Somehow I think each club would want the flexibility of
deciding what's best for them... in order to encourage entries.

A number of folks in my region came back from the AIS national
convention with a tidbit of information that I believe was not quite
correct, and if so, perhaps others came away with the same idea. They
have the idea that the AIS rules state that you can have only one entry
per person per class in Artistic Design. Just to be sure, I re-checked
the Judges Handbook and could find no such rule. In fact, the only
reference at all was in the model show schedule which is nothing but an
example of a valid show schedule, not a required show schedule.

So now I am thinking, hmmmm, how many folks would know this and maybe it
SHOULD be put in the handbook as an AIS rule for artistic design. In
design classes at rose shows, which do also use garden club guidelines,
they use the device of having "For Display Only" entries to fill empty
niches and then there could be an exhibitor with another unjudged entry,
and only under those circumstances would an exhibitor have more than one
entry. But the extra basically wouldn't "count". No reason not to do the
same, I think.

-- #-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-# My words are mine, and don't reflect the views of my employer. Catherine Button Network Administrator cathy@pavcal.com Phone: 609-518-3700 x4444 Fax: 609-518-3720