Re: hi long time lurker with a question

Julie, welcome to the conversations. What could be more fun for an iris grower
than to talk with other enthusiasts about iris:-) ?   The judgment of the
experts is that it is best to wait 6-8 weeks after bloom before
digging-dividing-transplanting.  However, before I read the book and knew what
the experts said I always did my dividing as soon after bloom season as I
could find time.  I did that for quite a few years, have been following the
expert advice for several more years now.  Frankly, I have not been able to
tell the difference.  I never lost any when I did it my "old" way, and I don't
lose any now.  They seemed to take off and grow just as soon and as well in
times past, too.  So,  it seems to me that one may take one's pick.  Perhaps
it makes a difference where one lives, as in this more northern climate I like
to have a good long time for the planted rhizomes to grow a new root system
before winter.  In the hotter climates, things are different.  Best advice
would come to you, I'd say, from somebody who lives in the same growing zone,
but I know what works/worked for me.
Best wishes,
Arnold

Arnold & Carol Koekkoek