Re: HYB: TB: fun pods (non-rebloom)

Linda asks:

> Which crosses are successful for everybody else this year that they are
> excited about?

I find all my pods interesting.  Since all of them would AB crosses in some
form or another, they have different tickles for potential.  But it is true
that some pods are more fun than others for me.  They also tend to be from
crosses that aren't likely to produce the best blooms on the seedlings.
Usually they involve something I'm curious about that is an older iris or a
pod on an arilbred that really shouldn't set a pod at all.  The trick is to
actually get seeds from the pod that will germinate and survive.  I do have
crosses that have the potential for producing a nice plant altogether.  They
are more straightforward and not as much fun to grow as the wilder crosses.
Lots of pods this year.  I cheated and used 2-4D so many may be balloons.
Worms are already a problem on the later forming pods.  Grasshoppers showed
their stuff today, so I'll be out spraying that area in a few minutes.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA