Re: TB: Schreiner blues

Our weather is certainly different (TX vs TN), although not as different
as some other parts of the country.  But my gravel soil and garden
location (frost pocket, shade of a hill in morning) amplifies some
climate problems (drought and late freezes).

But (!) you are right about some of those irises - RIDE THE WIND grows
very well here and is very healthy, always nice and tall.  Some (most?)
years, bloom is frozen out, and either I get no stalks, or buds are
blasted.  It is marginal enough that, in spite of trying it a lot,  I
haven't had any luck with pods or pollen.  Until this year!  When
everything was blooming like mad.  One pod, not sure if there were any
pollen hits with it.

I don't think I've ever tried SIERRA GRANDE.  Somewhere, I got the idea
it doesn't do well in our area, but am certainly ready to give it a
try.  Walter, Donald, Bill, anybody in the 'vale of despair', is this
one worth trying here?

YAQUINA BLUE has a hard time here - barely grows enough to replace
itself, blooms were frozen out when I first had it, blooms this year and
last were distorted - very weird looking.  Most blooms haven't had
pollen, but it did make some good pollen the last two years and set a
pod or two last year.

And yes, VICTORIA FALLS is wonderful here.  I love it.  Most years it is
stunted/stressed by late freezes and dry weather just enough that stalks
rarely have the problem of falling over that this cultivar apparently is
prone to in better climates.  This is the first year I've tried any
crosses with it (no luck either way).

Barbara, even if you don't care who the pollen parents were for now, you
might in the future when you get ready to cross some of the babies.
Just a thought.

<I am catching up on old posts and in regards to Linda Mann's post on
                   Schreiner blues, I can't believe your weather is that
much different from mine.  Ride
                   the Wind, Sierra Grande and Yaquini Blue all perform
well for me as does the
                   "perfect" blue iris Victoria Falls.
                   Barbara Null
                   Tyler, TX>