HYB: small talls & 48 C aphylla hybrids

Vicki, those photos you posted of your various sized 48 chromosome
aphylla derived hybrids are lovely.

Since I accidentally have produced some tall bearded seedlings with
flowers too small to be 'good' TBs, I was glad to see that Paul Black is
intentionally breeding small flowered talls.  I believe his are also
mostly aphylla derived?

Is there much difference between his small flowered talls and talls in
your breeding program?  My seedlings look more like small flowered
modern talls (wide, slightly ruffled, arched falls) rather than the
species look blooms (narrow, tailored, horizontal falls) of most MTBs
I've seen.

The aphylla clones I've tried to grow here did not tolerate my growing
conditions.  I gave the last tiny scraps to Neil, and, unless I'm
mistaken, they didn't live for him either.

This is probably asking too much, but have you noticed how root growth
on your aphylla babies compares with 'regular' bearded irises?

Neil (and I think Dave mentioned this also) commented that some of the
near species pallida/variegata diploid varieties resent being
transplanted, taking more than a year to get a good root system
established.  Several years ago, I mentioned this also, but others in
cooler climates said (!) they did <not> have that experience.  I've seen
the same thing in some modern TBs here, and assume it is related to
inadequate root system to cope with drought/heat stress.  Some cultivars
just seem to take longer to grow deep roots.  And maybe some don't grow
many deep roots no matter how long they are in place.

Anyway, just wondering if any of your lovelies grow better (deeper,
faster growing) root systems than the aphylla clones in commerce.  Have
you gotten feedback on any of them growing in hot, unirrigated regions?
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8