=================================
                       Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:59:00 -0600
                     From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters"
<jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

                   > From: "Michael D. Greenfield"
                   >
                   > Does anyone know how it is that some people call
iris flags?

                   Michael,

                   The English word 'flag' as used for banners and for
irises is derived from
                   a Danish word 'flaeg', meaning "to flutter". This
term was applied
                   independently to both banners and irises because they
share the
                   characteristics of being conspicuous and fluttering
in the breeze. Banners
                   are not named for irises nor irises for banners.

                   BTW, the 'flag' in flagstones, which do not flutter,
is derived from a
                   different, Old Norse word 'flaga', meaning "stone
slab".

                   Jeff Walters in northern Utah  (USDA Zone 4/5, Sunset
Zone 2)
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8