CULT: ? identifying borers

After rumaging in the photo archives and looking at pictures and
comments about iris borers, I'm not sure that what was attacking that
one clump of iris here were iris borers.

They are definitely borers, and they were eating an iris, but they are
small - biggest ones are about 3/8 inch (1 cm) long, translucent
greenish white, with black heads.  They seem to be the same borer type
that occasionally are in bloomstalks and pods here, but sure were doing
the kind of damage to that clump that I've seen described as iris borer
damage.  Munching sides of new leaves forming inside the fan.

Does this sound like the 'iris borer' that folks farther north have so
much trouble with?
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8