Re: Merit active ingredient

Hi Dorothy,

>we have been using a
>product by the name of Marathon that has the same active ingredient.  It is
>also in granular form.  Unfortunately, we were away at the conventions
>this year
>when we should have been using it and we are finding borers in many buds.

I'm sorry to hear your borers are back.  They can be such a bother!  Do
you find them in your MDBs and SDBs?  I don't know as I've ever found
evidence of borers in anything smaller than an IB here.  They just don't
seem interested in the littleuns.

Because I live in such a remote spot (nearest neighbor is over a mile
away through the woods), and since I have read borer moths are very poor
flyers, I am hopeful that I will be able to eliminate my borer population
entirely within another year or so.  I figured I'd apply Merit several
years in a row to try to make sure I've caught all of them, then quit and
see what happens.  If I'm very vigilant about inspecting all new irises
that come in, I *should* be able to prevent reinfection with the nasty

That's the plan, anyway.

USDA zone 3b, AHS zone 4 - northern MN
normal annual precipitation 26-27"
slightly acid clay soil