Re: CULT: ? identifying borers

That is how they start out. They grow as they eat, and they just keep
eating  all the way down the fan and into the rhizome. Once they hit the
rhizome it is hog-off time. They get a couple of inches long and about
as big around as  a pencil. The head turns a shiny deep chestnut, and
the body turns a mid-tan-pink.

I have seen them hollow out an entire rhizome, and contrary to popular
wisdom, on many occasions have seen two in a rhizome. If you find
damaged fans while they are still at the 3/8" stage, if you start at the
and run your fingers up the fan with a moderate squeeze, you will usually
be rewarded with a nice little 'pop', and that borer goes to heaven.  It is
not too late at this stage to treat with cygon 2E. Once they reach the
rhizome, forget it.

 John  Bruce
Hidden Acres Iris Gardens
SW OH Zone 5b