RE: OT: Flags

Anyone know the origin of the term "Flags" in reference to irises?

Thx
John

Another answer to John's question from Iris "Historian" Jim Morris:

  My best guess based on iris history research would be that use of the term
"flags" for irises goes back to the time of the Franks (Germanic pre-French).
According to legend, Clovis I (466?-511) used the fluer-de-lis on his flags
in the early 500's AD after an angel gave him an iris for accepting
Christianity.  Clovis is an early form of Louis.  In 1376 Charles V chose three
fluer-de-lis for his coat of arms.  It remained on the coat of arms of the French royal
family until the French Revolution (1789-1799).  Jim Morris

Rita Gormley
Gormley Greenery
Cedar Hill, MO
AIS Region 18, Zone 5