From: owner-iris@hort.net [mailto:owner-iris@hort.net]On Behalf Of
laurief
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 11:30 AM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: Re: [iris] Merit active ingredient

>Laurie in her post gave the name of the Bayer product present in Merit.  I
>can't quote it exactly, but it is on the order of "imidipropan" or
something
>close to that..

Close, Neil.  It's imidacloprid, the same active ingredient found in
Advantage pet flea control products

The granular product is named something like "Bayer Advanced Lawn White
Grub Control" and should contain only imidacloprid as the active
ingredient.  I believe there may be formulas with Merit mixed with
fertilizers, but I would recommend using a product containing Merit alone.

>It is long lasting.

The Bayer rep with whom I spoke a couple years ago said one application
would last all season.

>In the future I plan to use the Bayer product and also
>could use some application rate information which, as I recall, is in
Laurie
>F's post.

The Bayer rep was *very* reluctant to speak to me about Merit at all,
since it is not labeled for use with irises.  After I assured him I would
NOT sue either him or Bayer for any damage to my irises potentially
caused by Merit, he finally did "guesstimate" an application rate of 1
tsp/clump.  That's what I used last year to wonderful effect.

This year, however, I *may* be seeing some Merit damage that I did NOT
see last year.  I dug and divided just about all my irises last summer,
so the mature clumps I treated with Merit last spring are now mostly
individual rzs this spring.  Four-six weeks ago, I sprinkled 1 tsp of
Merit around each of last summer's transplanted divisions, but I'm afraid
that may have been too much - esp for the MDBs and SDBs.  Some of the
divisions have now dried up and disappeared.  It may not have had
anything at all to do with the Merit, though.  Until this last week, our
spring has been absolutely bone dry.  It's certainly possible the drought
conditions killed off some of the littleuns that didn't have a chance to
develop much of a root system after division last summer.  I haven't seen
the same sort of problems occurring with the larger medians and TBs, all
of which were also divided and replanted as single rzs last summer and
treated with 1 tsp. each of Merit this spring.

Sometimes it's just not easy to figure out what's causing what in a
garden.

Laurie

laurief@paulbunyan.net
http://www.geocities.com/lfandjg/