OT-Bio Mary

Good afternoon,
This novice needs help with Irises!
I have a large flower and vegetable garden that I enjoy. But have never had
luck with Irises.  Discovered this site in my quest for information.  I have
many  green "swords" all over my garden but no stems for the flowers. The
leaves
are healthy but only 6-8 inches tall.
 A friend had given me these plants and said they were "black irises ".  I
planted a year or two ago, She also stated that they hate nitrogen/mircle grow
so I
have not fertilized them.  My soil is acid  sandy loam/ my roses, daylillies
and azaleas  love it! Do they need lime? fertilizer? Or just time?